Saturday, July 16, 2011

My beautiful Gracie Lou

May I introduce to you, Miss Gracie Lou Freebush! 
This sweet petite monster is my baby.  We have been together for about 6 years.  My older cat, Jasper,
was very lonely and I knew he liked playing with younger female cats from when we lived with some friends.  So one day, I went to the Seattle Animal Shelter and she was the first one I saw.  She had just come out of surgery from being spayed so she looked a little worse for wear.  I didn't think they would let me take her since she was still recovering, so I looked around a little at the other cats.  I always came back to her.  When I approached the cage, she sat up & came right to me.  She was so sweet!  I knew I had to have her.  Here she is on our first day at home.
  Kinda scrawny-looking, huh?

Turns out that she & Jasper never really got along too well.  At least while I was around.  They probably had to show dislike while I was home, but secretly, while I was at work, I imagine that they were the best of buddies.  One of the rare times that they were seen close enough together that I could get a picture:



Jasper became very ill and about 4 years ago, had to go live on Mt Rainier (at least that's where the vet told me they were scattering his ashes).  I say hi to him every time I see the mountain.

So, Gracie has become an only cat.  Can't tell if she likes it or not...  Over the last 4 years, I have done a lot of traveling for work.  I was gone for 6-10 weeks at a time and in 2009, I spent more time in hotel rooms than I did at home (285 nights).  Gracie was a trooper, although she didn't like being in the car much.  Then again, I don't know many cats who do. 

Since I could choose whatever hotel I wanted, I only stayed in Residence Inns if possible.  At the RI in Spokane Valley, they loved my Gracie Lou as much as I did & would come in during the day when they were cleaning & play with her!  They would talk to her through the window when she would watch them take out the trash and have a smoke.  I actully think she liked it there better than she liked it at home.
But now, I don't do as much traveling and when I do, I can't take her with me.  I have to fly to my locations and can't afford to bring her, so I have to board her.  Luckily, I found a place to keep her where she gets her own "condo."  It is the coolest place!  This lady has buildings in her backyard that she has set up just for cat's comfort.  Gracie is a favorite there too. In fact, she is on their website three separate times!

She is so cute because she likes to sleep under the covers at my feet at night, especially when it's cold out.  It's hard sometimes to play with her because she doesn't always want to play when I do & vice-versa, but we manage.  When I come home after work, she greets me at the door & then heads back to the bathroom because that's usually where I am headed.  She knows me so well!  She got a little hacked off when I got rid of my futon because now there is only a chair for both of us to share & she can't stretch out when I am sitting in it.  She definitely has a personality!
I love my little, 8-pound rag-a-muffin!  Cat hair gets everywhere and she is quite demanding when she wants something, even though I can't always tell what it is, but I love her just the same.  Life would definitely be different without her.  Much less loving! 

 
Piece out!
K


No comments:

Post a Comment